Monday, April 22, 2013

4-22-13 Adventure with My Brother

One evening while at my mom's my baby brother, the youngest of us four, came by to invite me to go with him while he hunted mushrooms.

I reminded him I had never been on a successful mushroom hunt.  Mom and Dad started "hunting" after I left home.  The one time I went with my mother, many-many years ago, she tripped on a grapevine and tore ligaments in her ankle.

There are certain conditions necessary for "mushrooming"....warm days and nights, wet ground, right after a rain is optimum.  Black oak and/or ash trees provide the necessary fertile soil.

The evening of the invite was wet--had been raining for three days; but wasn't warm.  Mark said it was early in the season, but we might find a few.  

I quickly discovered that traipsing up and down tree-covered hills in rain boots will quickly wear me out!  

Mark gave me the call to "come and look" just two or three trees into the search.  I circled that tree, not wanting to step on the valuable mushrooms.  Finally I found IT, the lone two-inch tall white morel mushroom.  I carefully picked the mushroom and put it into the brown paper bag--not plastic, but paper.  

After another 10 or 15 miles...okay, one or two, we circled back to "start", with a total of ONE mushroom.  I told Mark he didn't get to take it since it was the first find for me.  I would chop it up   
to eat in an omelet   Umm-m good.  

We watched Zade practice T-ball tonight.  The first game is May 1.  You can certainly pick out the boys who have "played" pitch and catch with a family member.  There is a big difference in the rookies and those with some experience.  I might say without any prejudice that Zade is in the two two players on the field.  :}

It takes LOTS of patience to be a coach of a dozen 4-6 year old boys learning to throw, catch, play position, and hit.  It would be very frustrating to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment